SQLearn provides a modern way to improve safety for maritime. We are the first to use e-learning for the advancement of maritime training with flexible, interactive and reflective learning techniques. Our services include a library of e-learning courses and an e-learning system designed especially for maritime companies:
- Flag approved e-learning courses addressing safety training needs available onboard and ashore,
- Training management and detailed, real-time reporting of training activities of on board and ashore workforce,
- Compliance with industrial and enterprise regulations,
- Training related KPIs per vessel and per rank,
- Reduction of costs as fewer work-related incidents will occur reducing overall costs,
- Improve risk management as training contributes to identifying, understanding and eliminating risks.
The Dolphin System is a web based e-learning system specifically designed for the shipping industry. It is offered via Dolphin box, a hardware solution for onboard training. The Dolphin box can be used either as an e-learning dedicated mini server or as a workstation. When used as a server, users can access e-learning courses within the local network on the vessel using their own PCs or dedicated workstations. When the Dolphin box is paired with a keyboard/mouse and a screen it can be used as a dedicated workstation. Using either method, the Dolphin box allows users to access e-learning courses stored in Dolphin box while their activity is synchronized with an ashore cloud installation. The ashore installation has a management dashboard that allows the crew manager to manage and monitor the training process across the fleet in real-time.
The Dolphin System comprises of the following modules (sub systems):
- The Training Management System that includes the training matrix rules, extensive real-time reporting, training KPIs and other features that support the training procedure,
- The ashore installation which is the main e-learning platform installation,
- The vessel installation, an e-learning platform installation per vessel that is able to communicate with the ashore installation in order to receive files (course or user data) and send back user activity reports.
A Training Matrix plugin is integrated and automatically creates course enrollments based on a company’s training matrix rules. Course enrollments are sent automatically to all vessels so that each seafarer can attend the courses that correspond to his current rank.
Recruitment Tools and Appraisal Tests
The new global regulatory framework poses more complex challenges to personnel, requiring higher levels of education, computer literacy, critical thinking, information analysis, and synthesizing skills. Ignorant and poorly skilled staff can’t (or at least shouldn’t) be hired– since they don’t have the appropriate skills to help their company reach its business objectives.
SQLearn offers an online web based questionnaire platform that helps shipping companies to evaluate the seafarers’ knowledge and identify training needs. It consists of a question pool with over four thousand (4.000) multiple choice questions categorized accordingly to address STCW topics than can be used for recruitment and for appraisal purposes.
Several question categories are included and the following features are supported:
- Question bank containing a pool of questions, of equal weight, designed to fulfill the specified purposes,
- Online provision of any future updates to the software and the question bank,
- Crew managers can create their own tests by combining questions from various categories,
- Predetermined test templates, drawn from the question bank according to the following criteria:
- Levels of responsibility (management, operational, support),
- Rank levels,
- Topic categories (health & hygiene, safety, security, environmental, quality, navigation, cargo operations, engineering, electrical, catering, cyber security, all),
- Vessel Types (Chemical, Gas, Oil, Dry).
- Support of custom test templates,
- Addition of company specific questions to the existing question pool,
- Generation of real time reports which represent current professional status of seafarers, according to their progress and final results,
- Issuance of certificate,
- ABS approved.
SQLearn provides a list of e-learning courses that cover most international, national and flag requirements and are of great importance in the field of safety training. E-learning courses are designed according to the latest e-learning standards, are interactive and use multimedia elements like narration and 3D videos.
SQLearn offers an extensive e-learning library of STCW courses focusing on TMSA, DRY BMS Safety issues, covering the needs of shipping companies for all ranks and various vessel types.
E-learning online courses cover various topics including SQE, Health & Hygiene, Engineering, Navigation, Operation, Ship Handling, Security, Soft Skills, Lessons Learnt, Resilience, etc. Furthermore, the e-learning system of SQLearn allows the company to directly and easily distribute all courses to both seafarers and ashore personnel with dedicated training matrix module.
Ε-learning courses are designed using reflective learning techniques and including multimedia and gamification elements for high engagement and interactivity. Certified by the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and the Liberia flag administration.
Available courses include: