ISM Awareness online course. The aim of this course is to provide knowledge and understanding of the requirements, principles, and contents of the ISM Code in order to improve the safety and environmental performance of ships.
The International Safety Management (ISM) Code, developed by the IMO, is a comprehensive set of guidelines for the safe operation of ships and for pollution prevention. The code sets out a framework for managing the safety and environmental performance of ships, and is mandatory for all vessels engaged in international voyages.
- Outline the structure of the International Safety Management (ISM) Code.
- Understand how the ISM Code affects ships and maritime organizations (e.g. SMS, ISM Code audits & Certificates).
- Identify the contents of the ISM Code.
- Describe each section of Part A and B of the ISM Code.
Legislation & References:
- The ISM Code is contained in the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and the specific legislation and references for the ISM Code are as follows:
- SOLAS Chapter IX, Annex 1
- IMO Resolution A.741(18), which sets out the ISM Code and its associated guidelines.
- Circulars that are relevant to the ISM Code include:
- MSC/Circ.1014 on Guidance for the operational implementation of the International Safety Management (ISM) Code
- MSC-MEPC.7/Circ.8 on Interim guidance on the implementation of the ISM Code.
Who should attend:
- Maritime personnel, onboard and ashore
Approval: ABS, Liberia