Course category: STCW Courses (Basic Training)
Who should attend: The course is open to all seafarers and prospective seafarers and should be completed prior to employment on a sea-going ship.
Objectives and Benefits: The aim of this course is to meet the mandatory minimum standards of competence for seafarers for safety familiarization, basic training and instruction in personal survival techniques in accordance with section A-VI/1, and as set out in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code. Seafarers employed as part of a ship’s complement, or engaged in any capacity on board ships on the business of those ships, with designated safety or pollution-prevention duties in the operation of the ship shall, before being assigned to any shipboard duties, receive appropriate approved basic training or instruction in personal survival techniques as set out in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code. The course covers the KUPs (knowledge, understanding and proficiency) in table A-VI/1-1 of the STCW Code, and trainees successfully completing this course will gain knowledge and skills to be able to survive at sea in the event of ship abandonment.
- Comprehend the safety guidance for survival at sea.
- Identify the emergency situations and mustering.
- Understand the procedures during evacuation.
- Comprehend how to use personal life-saving appliances.
- Identify how the survival craft and rescue boats are launched and operated.
- Understand how to use emergency radio equipment.
- Identify the survivor’s actions when being rescued.
- Identify the survivor’s actions when required to abandon the ship, when in the water and aboard a survival craft.
Legislation & References:
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended
- International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, as amended
- IAMSAR Manual – Volume III
- Guide for Cold Water Survival (MSC.1/-Circ.1185-Rev.1)
- IMO Life-Saving Appliances Code (LSA Code)
- Symbols Related to Life-saving Appliances and Arrangements, as amended (IMO Resolution A. 760(18))
- IMO Standard Marine Communication Phrases (SMCP)
- Pocket Guide to Recovery Techniques (MSC.1-Circ.1182-Rev.1)
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Fishing Vessel Personnel (STCW-F), 1995, as amended
- Measures to Prevent Accidents with Lifeboats (MSC.1/Circ.1206/Rev.1)
- International Code for Ships Operating in Polar Waters (Polar Code)
- Code of Safety for Fishermen and IMO Fishing Vessels
- Brown’s Guide to Survival at Sea, Item Attributes, Published date: July 2015, ISBN978-1-84927-053-3
- Survival at Sea: The Lifeboat and Life raft, C. H. Wright, Brian Davies: Brown, Son & Ferguson Ltd; 5th revised edition (2000.8)
- Marine Combat Water Survival United States Marine Corps, Borgo Press (2004.2), and PCN: 144 000069 00
Available language: English