MARPOL – Consolidated edition 2022 online course. The aim of this course is to provide learners with a fundamental understanding & knowledge regarding the MARPOL Convention (Edition 2022) and each one of its 6 Annexes.
Ship pollution can potentially lead to the destruction of marine life. Oil spills, dangerous substances, sewages, garbage, plastics, and ship emissions can be very dangerous for sea flora and fauna. Additionally, pollution by ships may have a serious impact on the environment, human health, as well as the economy. Therefore, preventing the pollution caused by ships is extremely important. IMO has adopted the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL), to ensure that shipping remains the least environmentally damaging mode of transport.
- Understand the objectives and content of the MARPOL Convention.
- Identify the importance of adopting the MARPOL regulations regarding ballast water and biofouling.
- Describe the general requirements that ships shall apply and the respective regulations of Annexes I, II, III, IV, V & VI.
- Identify the dangers of common practices on board that could potentially cause pollution at the marine environment.
Legislation & References:
- IMO’s International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, (MARPOL Convention) Consolidated Edition, 2022
Industry best practices
Duration: 2,5 h
Who should attend:
- All crew (on board), and ashore personnel