Getting a cruise ship job can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it can also be demanding and challenging.
Whether you want to work as a deckhand, an able seaman, an engineer, or as housekeeping staff, food and beverage server, bartender, and chef, you are going to need a set of skills and qualifications and a level of experience that can vary depending on the position.
Here are some steps to help you find job openings in the industry:
- Apply directly to the cruise line (for example Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Group, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd, MSC Cruises, etc. ) or yacht company: Start by researching cruise lines and yacht companies that interest you. Many cruise lines and yacht companies have online job boards where you can search for job openings and submit your application. You can also visit their website and look for a “Careers” or “Employment” section where you can apply directly.
- Use a recruitment agency: Many recruitment agencies specialize in hiring for the cruise ship and yacht industry. These agencies work with multiple companies and can help match you with the right job based on your skills and experience. Some well-known agencies are the following:
- Viking Recruitment
Viking Recruitment is a leading recruitment agency specializing in placing candidates in cruise ship jobs, including deck and engine, hospitality, and retail roles. They work with many of the top cruise lines and have a wide range of job opportunities available.
- Vessel Join
Vessel Join is a platform that connects job seekers in the maritime industry with employers who are looking to fill job openings. The platform offers job opportunities in various areas of the maritime industry, including seafaring, offshore, shipping, and ports. Vessel Join has a user-friendly interface that allows job seekers to easily browse and apply for job openings. In addition to the job board, Vessel Join also offers a range of services to help job seekers find the right job, such as resume review, career coaching, and training courses.
MareFind is an online platform that connects job seekers with employers in the maritime industry. The platform offers job opportunities in various areas of the maritime industry, including seafaring, offshore, shipping, and ports. Job seekers can create a profile on MareFind and browse job listings that match their skills and experience. They can also set up job alerts to receive notifications when new job openings are posted that match their criteria. MareFind offers various tools to help job seekers in their job search, such as resume building, interview preparation, and career advice.
- Faststream Recruitment
The Faststream Recruitment Group was established in 1999, employs over 100 people, and is a global people specialist in Shipping recruitment, Maritime recruitment, and Energy recruitment. They operate across three key maritime locations in Europe, Middle East & Africa, Asia-Pacific, and the Americas, servicing customers, both candidates, and clients, across the world.
With a global database of over 115,000 crew, Bluewater is a yachting company that provides yacht brokerage, charter, management, and crew recruitment services. The company was founded in 1991 and has offices in several locations, including the UK, France, Spain, and the United States.
- Cruise Ship Jobs:
Cruise Ship Jobs specializes in advertising cruise ship jobs from different cruise lines. They feature job listings from various departments, including housekeeping, food and beverage, entertainment, and more.
- Viking Recruitment
- Attend job fairs and recruitment events: Cruise lines and yacht companies often attend job fairs and recruitment events to meet potential candidates. Check online for upcoming events and plan to attend to meet recruiters in person.
- Network: Networking can be a valuable tool for finding a cruise ship and yacht job. Connect with people who work in the industry through social media or professional networking sites, attend industry events, and build relationships with recruiters and hiring managers.
- Look for job postings online: Check job search websites like Indeed, Monster, and Glassdoor for job postings in the cruise ship and yacht industry. Search for keywords such as “cruise ship jobs” or “yacht jobs” to find relevant listings.
- Be persistent: Finding a job in the cruise ship or yacht industry can be a competitive process. Keep applying, networking, and following up with potential employers until you find the right opportunity.
Did you get the job? Now it’s time for your training! Your employer will ask you to take STCW training and provide STCW certificates and now you are wondering where to start and what courses you need. We have the answer for that too! Read here about STCW certificates, what courses do I need to work on a Cruise Ship or Super Yacht?