Course category: STCW Courses (Basic Training)
Who should attend: The course is open to all seafarers and prospective seafarers and should be completed prior to employment on a sea-going ship.
Objectives and Benefits: This course aims to provide the knowledge required to enable personnel without designated security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan (SSP) to enhance ship security in accordance with the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code, and section A-VI/6-1 of the STCW Code, as amended. Those who successfully complete this course should achieve the required standard of competence enabling them to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness and the ability to recognize security threats and to respond appropriately.
- Recognize the meaning and the consequential requirements of the different security levels.
- Comprehend the emergency procedures and contingency plans.
- Recognize and detect weapons, dangerous substances and devices.
- Identify characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security.
- Recognize techniques used to circumvent security measures.
Legislation & References:
- International Maritime Organization. (2003). International Ship & Port Facility Security(ISPS) Code, 2003 and December 2002 Amendments to SOLAS. London: IMO. (IMO-I116E).
- SOLAS Chapter XI-1
- SOLAS Chapter XI-2
- ISPS Code Part A
- ISPS Code Part B
- International Labour Organization. Seafarers’ Hours of Work and the Manning of Ships Convention, 1996. (No. 180).
- International Labour Organization. Seafarers’ Identity Documents Convention (Revised), 2003. (No. 185).
- International Maritime Organization. Seafarers’ Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code, 2010.
- STCW Code Section A-VI/6
- STCW Code Table A-VI/6-1
- International Maritime Organization. (2009). “Guidance to Shipowners and Ship Operators, Shipmasters and Crews on Preventing and Suppressing Acts of Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships.” MSC.1/Circ.1334
- McNicholas, M. (2007). Maritime Security: An Introduction. Burlington: Butterworth- Heinemann
Available language: English