Training course for instructors online course. This course is designed to facilitate the delivery of training in the competence standards required by the IMO Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended. According to IMO model course 6.09
Its aim is to provide a useful introduction for those with limited teaching experience and introduce new approaches or serve as a reminder of skills and techniques for those who have been teaching for some time. It is not the aim to provide a full course of trainee instructor training. In addition, it provides a sound basis for the delivery of other training programmes.
After the completion of the course, the trainees should be able to meet the requirements as specified in sections A-I/6, A-I/8 and guidance contained in sections B-I/6, B-I/8 of the STCW Code. It includes the planning and preparation of effective teaching and instruction, the selection of appropriate methods of instruction and teaching materials, and the evaluation of the teaching and learning process.
- Define the purpose of training.
- Comprehend the process of identifying training needs.
- Understand the benefits of training and the aspects of the learning process.
- Identify how to set training objectives and how to create courses and lesson plans.
- Distinguish training methods and assessment techniques and comprehend how to evaluate the trainees.
- Comprehend how to effectively use your communication skills.
- Understand and apply the key elements for an effective presentation.
- Identify the various Learning Aids and learn how to properly use them.
- IMO model course 6.09, Training course for instructors
- IMO model course 6.10, Train the Simulator Trainer and Assessor
- IMO model course 3.12, Assessment, Examination and Certification of Seafarers
- IMO model course 1.30, On-board Assessment
- International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW Convention), 1978, as amended, 2011 Edition (IMO Sales No.: IC938E)
- Global Integrated Shipping Information System (GISIS), Marine Casualties and Incidents module; https://gisis.imo.org
- Lessons learned from maritime casualties http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/MSAS/Casualties/Pages/Lessons-learned.aspx (English) http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/MSAS/Casualties/Pages/Lessons-Learned-French.aspx (French) http://www.imo.org/en/OurWork/MSAS/Casualties/Pages/Lessons-Learned-Spanish.aspx (Spanish)
Duration: 42 h
Who should attend: Trainees wishing to deliver training in the competence standards required by the STCW Convention and Code should already have the necessary technical knowledge and be qualified in the task for which training is to be conducted. This course assumes that the trainees are appropriately qualified in the technical aspects of their subjects.