Infectious diseases awareness onboard online course aims to raise awareness regarding Infectious diseases that might occur on board vessels.
Infectious diseases are disorders caused by organisms such as bacteria, fungi, viruses or parasites. Many organisms live in and on our bodies. They are normally harmless or even helpful but under certain conditions the equilibrium of normal function of the human organism changes and disease occurs. Some infectious diseases transmit directly from person to person and others are transmitted by insects or other animals. We may get others by consuming contaminated food or water or being exposed to organisms in the environment.
- Understand and suspect what infections or infectious diseases really is, comprehend the basic causes of infectious diseases, identify basic symptoms and signs of infections in humans, identify the basic rules of protection against common infectious diseases.
- Understand and suspect when someone is having common cold, identify what common cold really is about and distinguish it from the flu, provide basic medical support and know when medical attention is needed.
- Understand and suspect when someone is having pneumonia, identify basic pneumonia symptoms and signs, provide basic medical assistance and know when specialized medical treatment is needed.
- Understand and suspect when someone is having meningitis, identify basic meningitis symptoms and signs, provide basic medical assistance and know when basic medical treatment is needed.
- Comprehend what diphtheria is, recognize which are the main symptoms and signs of diphtheria and identify which is the treatment for diphtheria.
- Understand when someone has malaria, identify the basic symptoms and signs of malaria and comprehend the basic preventive measures against malaria.
Legislation & References:
- Industry Best Standards following STCW guidelines
Vessel types: All vessel types including Oil tanker, Gas tanker (LNG/LPG), Bulk carrier, Container vessel, Chemical tanker, General cargo, Generic Offshore vessel, Passenger vessel
Who should attend: All crew, especially recommended for Chief Officer & Chief Engineer