Cardiovascular Emergencies Awareness onboard online course aims to raise awareness regarding Cardiovascular Emergencies that might occur on board vessels.
Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of adults. Prompt recognition and initiation of appropriate treatment can save lives during three of the most deadly cardiac emergencies: sudden cardiac death, heart failure, and acute pericarditis.
- Understand the burden of cardiovascular disease.
- Identify the reasons cardiovascular disease is the main cause of death in the world.
- Comprehend basic information on how to prevent and be alert for cardiovascular events.
- Understand what a heart attack or myocardial infarction is, understand or suspect when someone is having a heart attack, identify its symptoms and signs and provide first aid assistance and ask for medical treatment.
- Understand or suspect when someone is having a stroke, identify basic stroke symptoms and signs, provide first aid assistance and know when specialized medical treatment is needed.
- Understand when to worry if someone presents with chest pain.
Legislation & References:
- Industry Best Standards following STCW guidelines
Vessel types: All vessel types including Oil tanker, Gas tanker (LNG/LPG), Bulk carrier, Container vessel, Chemical tanker, General cargo, Generic Offshore vessel, Passenger vessel
Who should attend: All crew, especially recommended for Chief Officer & Chief Engineer