Business sustainability using continuous training solutions helps companies to embrace a culture of “investing in people”. Companies invest in training their employees rather than hiring new people which can be much more costly on different levels. Most companies nowadays want to invest in retaining their people – and developing that pool – so they keep employees well trained and up-to-date so that they can respond to the company’s ever-changing needs. This also develops a sense of trust and keeps employees engaged and interested since new skills are constantly added to their ‘arsenal’. Apart from saving money, continuous learning is a means for a company to show its employees they are worth investing in.
- Current offerings in e-learning systems for seafarers offer course titles that cover only basic training needs and their majority have not been updated for several years. Crew managers usually select such systems based on the total number of training titles even though quality may suffer and the topics might not address their crews’ needs.
- The need to create custom courses that will address specific needs arises. Every company has their own procedures, ship types, trades and culture.
- Shipping companies need courses that will address their specific needs as those are faced in everyday situations. Furthermore each company needs training that will be adjusted to their procedures and internal policies. Even the same company might have different procedures depending on the trade area that should be communicated to the officers efficiently.
- Courses need to provide information using modern techniques. E-learning courses should be interactive and use 3D elements to allow seafarers to visualize specific scenarios and situations. Using modern techniques users will get a better understanding of the training concept and will get involved in the topic.
- Using satellite internet e-learning systems’ data can be remotely updated when needed while they can regularly send crucial information to crew managers. Information about user actions can be transmitted to the company’s HQ in real-time so as to have a clear understanding of how the training process is progressing and take appropriate actions.
SQLearn’s Vessel Learning Management System (VLMS for short) is a web based e-learning system specifically designed for providing learning material and management of e-learning courses in the maritime industry. vLMS can be used from any modern PC while the technology used in vLMS allows seamless use in conditions with low internet connection speed or no internet connection at all.SQLearn provides complete e-learning services to shipping companies that include:
1) VLMS, an integrated training system that includes training management and reporting capbilities,
2) E-learning libraries with courses for seafarers and for ashore personnel,
3) Custom e-learning courses development services including incident reports (lessons learnt) courses,
4) Training Matrix (provided as part of VLMS, a plugin that automates user course enrollment procedure and allows for real time reporting of users activities).