SQLearn’s vLMS is a web based e-learning system specifically designed for providing learning material and management of the e-learning courses in the shipping industry. vLMS can be used from any modern PC and it helps familiarizing the crew as well as the commander with the ship but also with the daily procedures of the ship. The technology used in vLMS allows seamless use in conditions with low internet connection speed or no internet connection at all. The vLMS system is a specialized solution for e-learning for the shipping industry.
Designed for the maritime industry
vLMS can be configured to provide access in the e-learning material according to the needs on the ship, its course, the port, its intermediate stations, the equipment and the required procedures.
All known standards of e-learning are supported from vLMS, like SCORM. The material can also be in video format, webinar, text etc. The courses that SQLearn develops are structured using training goals that your company sets for every user group while they follow the rules of remote training for keeping the interest of users undiminished, ensuring the clear understanding and at the same time to let the user advance. The material is using interactive elements like animations, videos, narration etc. While in any given moment users can pause and continue the course whenever it is desirable. Some special occasions can be exceptions to that feature, for example tests for final evaluations or certifications that must be completed in given time. SMES supports a big range of course evaluations, self-evaluations and also certifications with reports synchronized automatically with the central system for informing shipping company’s trainers in real time.
vLMS includes the following basic modules that be used and configured depending on your company’s needs:
- Course viewer
- Assignment submission
- Reports (overall and per ship)
- Discussion forum
- Files download
- Instant messages
- Online calendar
- Online news and announcements
- Online quiz
Efficient training management
vLMS helps you having every time in real time, information that is necessary for every educational activity both inside the ship as well as from land. Every position and every member of the ship’s crew has different educational profile while, the frequency of the trainings and the minimum grades that are required can be set separately for every training/lesson. All the information regarding the activities of the trainees is available for the commander of training and can be accessed through a personal computer, for printing as well as exporting them from the system.
vLMS system allows sending files from the training personnel to the head offices of the company for a remote creation of training and lessons or tests/exams by the local structures of vLMS in every ship. Subsequently the enrollment of the students is executed.
The collective report system of vLMS helps you in observing and managing the training course in every ship. The individual installed systems in every ship, synchronize automatically (or manually if needed) file(s) of training reports from every ship in the main system of your company, to always have the total information available.
- Creating training material. SQLearn helps you to take advantage of your preexisting training material in order to get the proper structure capable for e-learning and become interactive,
- Installing and modifying SQLearn Maritime e-learning System (SMES) depending on your company needs,
- Create advanced, modified reports beyond the basic ones that the system provides you,
- Consulting services to the management and staff to ensure the success of the e-learning system in ,
- Support of your company in every step of the process.
1) vLMS access with low internet connection speeds. vLMS structure and the training material are configured in order to ease access with low internet speeds. By using the minimum required visual elements in the platform as well as in the course material.
2) Local installation. An installation of vLMS in a local server stored of the ship. The e-learning platform and the material run in a local network. The access is made through a local area network while the reports for the activity of the students are synchronized (when internet connection is available) with the main installation for monitoring the training activities (manually or automatically).
3) CD/DVD with activity report. Material can also be shared by storing the required material and trainings on CD/DVD drives. During the insertion of the CD/DVD in the proper drive slot, executable file will startup and the identification sequence begins before previewing the correct material to the user and also for reporting activity that will be send to the main report system to track the activity of the user.